Saturday, December 15, 2012

12 days of Listmas: The books I want for Christmas

Today Kev and I were in the book section of Walmart, and I dropped a hint that books are always a good choice for gifts for me.

Additionally I have been hooked on the vlogbrothers of late, and John Green writes books, book of the year type books.

So I thought what's a quick to put together list for Saturday Night, considering one didn't happen yesterday (grad student winter formal, Kevin bought me flowers, my insides are full of mush).

12 days of Listmas: books to buy me for Christmas


1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Like I said I've been watching a lot of the vlogbrothers videos, and am intrigued to read this book asap. Lucky for me I told my brother (currently working at a book store to buy it for me). Check out the vlogbrothers on Youtube here!!

2. The emporer of all maladies: a biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee. I once took an anthropology of plagues course in undergrad, and loved it, the textbook for that course was like a narrative of diseases. I can only imagine this book will appeal to me in a similar way.

3. Bruce: The innocence, the darkness,the rising. Biography by Peter A Carlin. I have held off on buying this book myself based on the assumtion someone else will likely get it for me. (I love Bruce Springsteen, my one and only tattoo is of lyrics from one of his songs).

4. A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I have been waiting for the end of the Wheel of Time series forever, then Robert Jordan passed away one book before the end. They brought Sanderson on, and 1 book became 3. Technically this book doesn't release until Jan 8, but a pre-order would be a great gift.

5. The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber by Julien Rubinstein. A book recomending in a John Green video about books. The synopsis sounds great. Plus I always love true stories.



6. I don't know how she does it by Allison Pearson. This book was recommended to me by a neuro-opthalmologist in an elevator this Friday, during an afternoon which left me with much to think about; least of all that I should read this book.

7. Uglies by Scott Westefeld. Another John Green recomendation. Plus its a book about a dystopian future, so how can it be wrong?

8. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore. And I guess by extension copies of Graceling and Fire, which I don't actually own. If you liked the Hunger Games (I did) I promise you'll like Graceling.

9. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. The synopsis of this book reminds me heavily of the movie The Way (post about it here) so it should be a good read.

10. Bobcat, and other stories by Rebecca Lee. Lately I've been making an effort to read more Canadian Literature, and this one comes highly recommended.

11. Doppler by Erlend Loe. Common an endearing story about a man and his moose. Need I say more?

12. The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Kevin recently said this was one of the few books he's read cover to cover and enjoyed in full. I guess I should see what pulled him and two thousand years of readers in.

What books are you hoping for for Christmas? Or perhaps more importantly, what books are you going to enjoy reading in your time off over the holidays?

The First Day of Listmas: A Gift Guide
The Second Day of Listmas: Holiday Movie Picks
The Thrid Day of Listmas: Things I put off till the last minute

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever read The Art of War? That one is on my reading list too. I've read Wild, but liked Tiny Beautiful Things more. I received Bruce for a gift, but haven't read that one yet either.

    ReplyDelete