Thursday, August 23, 2012

Great Canadian Bloggers - Gypsy in Jasper


For my very first featured Great Canadian Blogger, I'd like to introduce you all to:

Nicole, the lovely lady behind Gypsy in Jasper.


While I've been following her blog for quite a while now, this week, I took the opportunity to get to know Nicole a little better by asking her some questions.


How long have you been blogging for? 
  • Since January of 2011.
Describe your blog in 12 words or less.
  • Rants, ramblings and outfits of a wandering vagabond currently living in Jasper. 
What are some of your favourite posts?
    What's your day job?
    •  I'm a small town reporter/photographer for a newspaper.
    How do you incorporate blogging into your busy schedule?
    • I usually blog in the evenings. I'll admit that sometimes I don't want to, but I generally force myself to sit down and write for half an hour to an hour. I don't like to commit too many hours to my blog because I feel like that takes away from my time living and experiencing things that I can then blog about. To make blogging six times a week manageable, sometimes, when I'm really inspired, I set aside an evening to pump out a few posts and then I can just take it easy and ride those out for awhile.
    Do you eat maple syrup with something that's not pancakes/waffles?
    • Well, this is still waffles, but we make fried chicken and waffles, which I eat with maple syrup, sriracha and ketchup! Yum!

    What inspires you most to continue to produce awesome content for your blog?
    • For me, it's a way to document what I'm doing at that very moment. I used to be an avid journal writer when I was kid, but somewhere down the line (once my life was actually exciting enough to document), I lost the motivation to write for myself. So having a blog is a great way to keep a record of what I'm up to, while also meeting new people. I have to say, the people who read and comment on my blog are a great source of encouragement and inspiration. Without them I may have quit months ago!
    What Canadian stereotype would you say closest applies to you?
    • Probably friendly, hospitable and accommodating. Here's a story to prove it: In 2010, I moved to Yellowknife, NWT, which is a bit intimidating when you're a southerner who has never experience -40 C. Once I got my bearings, I made it my mission to be a one-woman welcome wagon for any new reporters who came to work at my paper. I did it because I wanted to make sure those people didn't feel lonely in this remote, new place and I also wanted to ensure that when they left the North, whether it was within months or years, they would remember it fondly. Basically, I just want everyone to have a good time and feel welcome wherever they go.
    If you could live anywhere else in the world (apart from Canada) where would it be?
    • That's a tough question for me because for the last few years I've made it mission to work and live in every province and territory in Canada. So really, I never even consider living outside of this beautiful country of ours. I guess, if you really twisted my arm, I'd probably say Holland because both of my parents are Dutch immigrants, so going to Holland would be a great way to reconnect with my extended family.
    What YouTube video or Internet meme makes you laugh the hardest?
    • Haha. I love this question because I am always way behind on YouTube videos and memes. I seriously don't give them the time of day. If I had to chose one, though, it would be the "Hey Girl" meme with Ryan Gosling. I just love seeing feminism making its way into pop culture.

    Anything else you'd like to say?
    •  Yes! Of course there is. I'd like to say thank-you to Sara for choosing me as a Great Canadian Blogger. I am so honoured. I don't know that I'm great, but I am definitely Canadian and proud of it.
    Thanks so much Nicole for agreeing to be my first featured Great Canadian Blogger! I had a tonne of fun putting together these questions and hearing your answers! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment