Monday, February 2, 2015

Weekend Recap: HTML 500 and Red Deer

It was a pretty busy weekend guys.

Friday night I was super cool and stayed in to finish Kevin's super secret crocheted Valentine's day present. Here's a sneak peak:


Saturday morning I was up bright and early to run into the lab for an hour before heading to the Red and White Club at McMahon Stadium. I was there to participate in Lighthouse Labs' HTML500, a free event aimed at teaching basic HTML and CSS to 2000 people across Canada (500 in each of Vancouver, Calgary, London and Toronto). It was a full day event, and a packed house, over 900 people registered to try and get one of the 500 spots.


If you follow me on twitter (@turner_sr) you'll already know I had a great time and was able to build a pretty neat webpage in just one afternoon, with the help our table's three lovely mentors below.


Learning code was pretty neat, and I think I might be hooked, I rushed out to grab a learn html and css text book to get started for real at home. I also bought a new domain name (turnersr.com) and a small hosting package to see what I can do. I'll keep you posted on my progress here, but you can follow along as I work though the book one chapter at a time here, or see the page I made at HTML500 here.

Afterwards I hung out at Kevin's, did some serious crocheting on a project from my camp site at Wanderlust O'ahu. Saturday night we went to watch the Anderson Silva fight (it was terrible.... he's going to get killed in the subsequent title match unless he really picks things up) at Jamesons.... where I was so excited to have a margarita only to have 2 brought to me that clearly had no tequila in them. Or alternatively that had the smoothest, least alcoholic tequila ever in them.

Sunday morning we woke up bright and early to drive to Red Deer for Kevin's last CaRMs interview. Well it was early but certainly not bright.


Well Kevin interviewed I met up with Becky (the Bex Factor) to pepper her with questions about living in Red Deer, chat about blogging, and tell stories about pet bunny rabbits. Becky was an awesome hostess and took me to her favourite Sunday Brunch spot, Heritage Ranch.


The food was plentiful and amazeballs, the restaurant was cozy and rustic, and the park its in was beautiful under a fresh blanket of snow. Definitely a perk of the city.

After heading back to Calgary however I began to feel a bit under the weather, so I stayed in for the afternoon/evening to watch the Superbowl (crazy finish eh!). During the game I worked through a short coding exercise, and did a slow an easy flow of yoga. Afterwards, I sewed in all the ends and finished my crochet project.


I'm going to save it until Wanderlust to share the finished product, but I'll just say now, I'm super excited about it.

Well that was my weekend, a great combination of fun, learning, friends, and exhaustion. How was yours?

Oh and as a quick end note, Becky mentioned that I never post any pictures of Kevin on my blog, so here's the two of us at the Aquarium in Toronto over the holidays.



4 comments:

  1. My buddy Camille was involved with the coding course somehow, but in the mob you probably didn't see her. And the best thing about Red Deer is Valentines wine store! They have, I conservatively estimate, a bazillion wine kits in there, and the prices are fantastic. Nice landing page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome weekend! I can't wait to see what you are making him. And that breakfast does look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do a coding course like that. Glad you had a good time here. Mmmm, I want more of that brunch! Also, thanks for posting a picture of Kevin. You guys are cute together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome you and Becky got together. Love the blogging world for that! I wish I could crochet, one of these days I'll learn that or knitting. I don't even know the difference.

    ReplyDelete