Friday, February 13, 2015

Art Battle 219 - Calgary

Last week, my friend Sarah (@setulk) and I went out to watch some live competitive painting at The Hifi Club here in Calgary, and it was amazing. That's right this was like sport painting, under the name Art Battle. If you've never been to one before, check out their website, there may be one in your area.

In the mean time, let me tell you all about it!

The format, 12 local artists compete to be the winner of the evening. There are 2, 20 minute semifinal rounds (6 painters each), followed by the championship round, pitting the top two artists from each of the first two rounds against each other. Who decides the winner? the audience live votes using their smart phones for their favourites at the end of each round. In addition all of the art produced is for sale via silent auction.


All artists get the same materials, the same canvas, and the same primary colours of acrylic paint. They are all welcome to bring whatever tools the need to create their masterpieces.

It was pretty amazing to walk around the painters during the 20 minute rounds, and watch as their canvases came to life with each lap around the easels.




What truly amazed me the most however, was how 12 people, with the exact same paints could create works that looked so unique. Not only in subject matter but also in technique. Had you not known, you never would have guessed all of the canvases were created with the same materials. And certainly not in 20 minutes flat!


Here's a few of the other works created last night.





Apparently the next Art Battle Calgary is confirmed for March 11th, and I can't wait to go again! In the mean time, I went home last night itching to do some painting myself. So today I picked up a pair of canvases for the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love Art Battle! Such a fun event. I do live social media for Art Battle Red Deer :)

    ReplyDelete