Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Italian Wedding Music and Throwing Coins at the Bride

Over the holidays we threw an 80th birthday party for my Nana at the Marconi Club in Sault Ste. Marie. While we were there Kevin and I snuck into the large wedding hall were I have spent countless Saturdays celebrating the weddings of my Italian relatives, both close and distantly related. While we finished a bottle of red wine on the raised platform reserved for the head table I couldn't help but think of all of the amazing Italian wedding traditions which I cherish so deeply.

First among them is the tradition surrounding the first dance. As a child, as soon as we arrived at the Marconi, my cousins and I would rush to the bar to ask for an empty cup. Then we'd impatiently ask our parents all through dinner, when are they going to throw the money?

During the couple's first dance, the floor is quickly surrounded by all the children at the wedding and all the Nanas, Nonas, Aunts and Zias. The old women throw and scatter coins about the newly wed couple's feet as they dance, and the kids dart in and out, picking up as many as they can. The boldest ones reaching right under the bride's long train to go after a coveted quarter or loonie (it wasn't until I was older that toonies joined the mix).

This photo is from my Cousin Krista's wedding in 2012.

From what I've gleaned from it, this tradition is a blessing for wealth (the coins) and fertility (the kids). And while many weddings don't invite the little ones to the party, I can only hope there will be many little cousins and nieces and nephews at mine one day to continue this cherished tradition.

With that on my mind, I spent some time on YouTube tonight looking for all of my favourite Italian Wedding Dancing songs. Here are a few!




Lauretta Mia by Enrico Musiani



Che La Luna Mezzo Mare by Lou Monte


L'italiano by Toto Cotugno

What are your favourite Wedding Traditions? Looks like I'll be attending 4 in the next year!

10 comments:

  1. Such a cool tradition!

    I've not been to many weddings in my day so I can't comment on favourite wedding traditions. There aren't any that I know of in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched the DVD of our wedding over the weekend. I had to keep a box of tissues handy—for Max. He sobbed the entire time. songs wedding

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This wedding hall is damn awesome and kids in dresses looking more cute and music of this video brilliant, I concede, I have not been on this page in quite a while... on the other hand it was another happiness to see It is such an imperative subject and disregarded by such a large number of, even experts. experts. I thank you to help making individuals more brilliance of marriage issues.
    videoword

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should also ask a wedding videography service if they have insurance. Anyone operating such type of business must have public liability insurance. The government does not mandate them, but it is a plus if they have one.wedding videography

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might involve certain manipulations to the color, light and shadow to bring the texture and shape into special focus. best wedding videography

    ReplyDelete
  7. otherwise called a groomsman is ordinarily a companion of the prep that has been enrolled to coordinate visitors at the service.!
    sydney wedding video

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this idea of throwing coins at bride. It’s quite good. For my younger sister’s wedding at one of San Francisco venues. I and my friend did all the arrangements and hired a DJ too for best music. He played best songs that made the moment so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While it is outlandish for huge organizations to indict all violators of copyright laws, many wedding video organizations.http://www.houseofchordsband.com/

    ReplyDelete