Sunday, July 13, 2014

Cake Decorating at Micheals Lesson 1

This afternoon, my friend Melissa and I attended our first cake decorating class at Michaels (an arts an crafts store). The class cost $20 to register, then about $40-$50 spent in buying Wilton's cake decorating equipment. And it runs for 2 hours a week for 4 weeks.

Tonight we brought in 6 cupcakes a piece and learned the basics.


First up we learned how to mix colours and fill icing bags, I went with a neon pink and a blue green swirl.


We then used a star tip to, well, make stars, do a star fill and make little swirls.


 We practised piping the icing with even pressure over long lines, then made some cute little loops.
 

Next up we pulled out the big tip to make roses and swirl cupcake toppers.


Finally we went to town and iced our 6 cupcakes each (mine are on the left). Too bad I am watching what I eat, so I can't enjoy any of these bad boys. I'm guessing my lab will be happy about that, since that is where they are going to end up! Next weeks lesson we ice and decorate a full cake!

So maybe the class is really just a great way to push Wilton products and sales. And maybe apart from us everyone else in the room was under the age of 18. But it was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to improve my skills.

Week 1- cupcakes
Week 2- layer cake
Week 3 - decorate with flowers
Week 4 - ??? 

1 comment:

  1. I adore foregathering useful info, this post has got me even more info! .
    leaf design

    ReplyDelete