Monday, July 21, 2014

Cake Decorating at Michaels Lesson 2

So I think it's time to quit grad school and open up a bakery. I mean last week's cupcakes turned out pretty awesome, and this week was even better I think.

Week two of Michaels level 1 cake decorating class (using all Wilton products of course) required that we bake, fill, ice and decorate a layer cake. I'm still calorie counting this month (which means I wouldn't be eating my cake) so I went with a box cake mix, chocolate fudge. For the filling I simply mixed a can of chocolate icing with half a jar of strawberry jam. And I used the Wiltons icing that you can buy in the big jug at Micheals.


We gel transferred an image onto our cakes, and then went to town with the decorating.


My cousin's baby, Penelope, is turning one next month, and so I decided to make her a pre-birthday cake with a cute little owl (since she has a thing for owls).


I was seriously impressed with how the cake turned out, and Kevin informed me that despite being made from a box, it was quite delicious.

So what do you think? Should I decorate cakes for a living?

Week 1- cupcakes
Week 2- layer cake
Week 3 - decorate with flowers
Week 4 - ???

4 comments:

  1. Your cake looks great! This class seems like it's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely has been... except you end up with waaay too much baked goods around...we threw out half the cake today :(

      Delete
  2. 1. Box cake is always delicious.
    2. You'll have to teach me how to crochet that blanket , I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love that your comments link back to your Europe blog...from years and years ago! Will do on the blanket, super easy!

      Delete