Sunday, October 26, 2014

Weekend Project: Fruit Crate Shelf



Friday afternoon I wandered into Zoe's Store on 14th, a great little thrift store, always full on inspiration, and picked up a simple wooden fruit or veggie crate for $12. (They had a sturdier 25 dollar option, but I thought this ricketier one had more charm).


Since shabby chic is all the rage right now, you can find thousands of ideas for what to do with these crates on Pinterest. I thought to make a shelf  out of mine.


Coming to me as is though, meant it needed some work.


I pulled out some old nails, and added some new ones.


Gave it a serious scrubbing (the clear water in the pail was practically mud by the time I was through.


I resisted the temptation to paint it, wanting to salvage the original labeling on top.


And instead gave the inside a coat of a deep mahogany stain (two in one stain and polyurethane sealant).


Added some brackets for easy hanging and threw it up on the wall.


Furnished it with an ikea lantern, and a pair of milk bottles, not to mention some fresh fruit, and there you have it, a quick and easy weekend project in the bag!

4 comments:

  1. That is so super cute!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how it turned out! And where about on 14th is it? And which 14th street? Haha. I might need to go check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's pretty much on the corner of 14th St and 14th Ave SW. (on the st, across from the liquor store)

      Delete