Monday, September 10, 2012

Road to My First Half Marathon : Week 1

This Tuesday I took the leap and registered for my first Half Marathon, which is goal number 1 on my list of 25 things to do before I'm 25. I gave a little recap of what running has been like for me this year, and have made a serious week one effort to get myself going.

Training this week:


So that's an alright start... 3 solid beginner runs, but next week I'll try to get a 10km in there somewhere.

Where do you usually run? I'm a huge fan of treadmills I must say, it's very difficult for me to keep a sustainable pace on my own (I run too fast and need breaks too soon) so by setting a slightly slower pace on the treadmill, I can really stretch out the distance before I need a walking pace. Hopefully if I do enough running at that pace it will translate over to the road.

But I do love running outside, Calgary is crisscrossed with extensive path systems. This Saturday I ran along the south shore of the Bow river from 11th over to the East Village, and stopped to snap some quick pictures of the beautiful scenery.






Are you considering starting to run? Maybe you should, here's 6 Reasons to Start Running. Wanna go big or go home? Here's 10 rules for running marathons or halfers!  And if I could get off my butt and commit to it, so can you. Here's to 9 weeks left!

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work! I'm getting ready to do a Disney half-marathon in February. I'm training at a slower pace than you, but I'm getting there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete