Sunday, April 5, 2015

Decorating Easter Eggs

Happy Easter ladies and gents! I hope that Peter Rabbit came hippity hoppiting through your neighbourhood to leave some eggs and treats for you to search for this morning. Here in Calgary he left footprints behind in our blanket of fresh snow, reminding us all that despite the warm weather, summer's still a fair way off.

This year, for the first time since I was a kid, I decorated eggs.


I did some of the traditional variety (these were dyed for an attempt at Easter Bread which failed horribly).


And got creative with some craft supplies I had around the house and some plastic eggs.


I tried feathers, a sticky mess, but well worth it.


And Washi tape, which makes for a very quick decorated egg.



If you want to spend 20 minutes burning you fingers with your hot glue gun, you can do yarn wrapped eggs.



The process sucked so badly I  gave up after one egg.


Much better than yarn, however, was wrapping eggs in some of the fabric scraps from a quilt I made two years ago.


Once all was said and done, I gave my eggs a quick coat of glossy gesso (you could use modge podge) to seal all the edges down.



The finished eggs look great, and were a lot of fun to make. I still have a dozen or so plastic eggs, so I'll probably spend some time this afternoon decorating a few more.

Hope you have a Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. They're so pretty! What a unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so fun and cute! Though I have zero patience for crafts so I doubt mine would look that good. i would just glue the yarn in a big ball and call it good

    ReplyDelete