Saturday, January 11, 2014

Knitting Corner: The Purl Bee's Big Snowy Owl

This year for the holidays I tried to do some knitting to create lovingly hand crafted gifts. One project that I particularly liked (an may even have to make one or two more!) is the Big Snowy Owl Pattern from the Purl Bee.

Since my cousin's baby's room has been decorated with somewhat of an owl theme in mind, I thought this soft and cuddly looking stuffy would be a great gift for little Penelope (who just turned 5 months old!)


Fun fact, the blanket the owl is sitting on was a wedding gift to my cousin, made by yours truly as well.

The patter knits up really quick (on US 15 needles) and I used a grey and white tweed bernat super chunky acrylic yarn for the body (a little more durable for babies than the recomended alpaca wool blend, also more budget friendly!) and the eyes and beak I just improvised, crocheted rather than knitted as the pattern described; using left over stash yarn, sometimes holding two strands together.

The finished product is about a foot and a half tall, and unbelievable cuddly. I wish I had thought to throw a bean bag in the bottom tho before I sealed him up, as he does have a tendency to topple over (oh well!).

And as for the lucky little girl? It's clear from the smile on her face that she loves her new toy (or more realistically that she's just one super happy baby!).


6 comments:

  1. That is so cute!! You are so talented. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute!!! I love the blanket! How long does it take you to finish a project like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I wish I could knit. I did share this post with my friends who knit so they could attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a cutie and loving the owl! What a thoughtful gift. I haven't knitted in ages. My last attempt was a baby blanket for my son when I was pregnant. It was supposed to be a rectangle. It turned out square. LOL Enough said. Still pretty and still usable, but it'll probably be a while before I attempt again so I'm always impressed when I see these complicated (at least to me they are!) projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this is too cute! I love your blog! #SITSblogging
    mommylearnsalot

    ReplyDelete