Sunday, January 26, 2014

A quick word about registering for races

Today I registered for the Calgary Marathon Centaur Subaru Half Marathon on June 1st, 2014. From start to finish, registration took about 4 minutes.

Last Thursday I tried to register for the 2014 Lululemon Seawheeze Half Marathon on August 23rd. Notice I said tried. I literally spent 3 hours (longer than it will take me to run the race) struggling to get though a website that could barely load and repeatedly crashed, before Lulu closed the whole thing told us to check back in a couple hours. Then told us to check back the next day. Then told us they'd reopen it in 2 weeks.

You can imagine I was frustrated. And tweeted out my feelings. You can find those tweets here (#seawheeze)



Having done the Seawheeze last year (read all about my very first half marathon) and enjoyed every second of it (right down to the blisters and chafing), despite my frustration I am still eager to do it again this year. In fact, I want to take a full 25 minutes off my time and come in under 2 hours (I just need a strategy to do so!).

However, with a limited number of spots for runners and a years worth of hyping, I just hope I'm able to grab a spot when the registration opens up.

And not just one, my cousin will be running with me, as part of her C-Section to Seawheeze goal! (she gifted the world with possibly the cutest baby ever last August). So we're going to need two spots.


So consider this my first post en route to a sub 2hour 21.1km in 2014. I'll be keeping you updated with my training runs (got out on the bow pathway yesterday for my first run of the year), my tortured knees, my highs and lows on the way to the #Seawheeze....provided of course I can get that pesky registration out of the way.

3 comments:

  1. Registering for some popular races can be crazy. Some of the Disney races are getting so popular they are selling out in like 15 minutes!
    <3 #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. awriter.orgI appreciate your idea here. Definitely it has a good content. Thank you for imparting more of your own thoughts. Good job!awriter.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes members of a team are not equally excited about their work. I think that's what happened with the marathone managers and website administrators. Same story happened to me when I tried to compare semester vs trimester system to decide which school to choose for my daughter. Eventually her documents were submitted to the one which site has loaded faster:)

    ReplyDelete