Monday, January 2, 2012

A look back at 2011

Happy New Year people of the interweb!

It's my last full day at home in the Soo, tomorrow I have two flights and 6 hours of layover to look forward to and then I'm back in Albertaland. But for today I thought I'd give you a recap of my year in 2011.

This was a sad blog year for me, on average I did 2 posts a month, and I'd say about half of them were just me admonishing myself for poor blog upkeep.

It was an interesting year for boys, by which, I dove too quick into a relationship, and payed for it in heartache later. You live and learn I guess.

I graduated from McMaster University, with an Honours Degree in Science in Biology and Pharmacology, Co-op. (I'm on the bottom, 3rd from the right)


I had my name on 3 peer-reviewed publications this year. Wrote and defended my honours thesis (which I am very proud of) and presented that data at a national conference in Vancouver.

I lived four months each in 3 different cities, and moved all of my worldly possessions most of the way across Canada.

I started my PhD studies at the University of Calgary, applied for a tonne of funding, received Provincial funding for Christmas, completed 2 of my 3 required classes, learned a bunch of new techniques, and banged my head against the wall trying to optimize some old ones.

I travelled to Europe for the second time, and saw some amazing and some tragic places.



I cut my hair the shortest it's ever been, and then later grew it back out and got bangs.

I turned 23 and entered my middle 20s.

I explored more of Alberta, and walked on a glacier.


And although I blogged less, I tweeted more (@Turner_SR) and Pinned more (turner_sr).

I bought 2 new computers (an HP desktop and a Toshiba laptop) and my first tablet (Blackberry Playbook) all for less than 1000 bucks total (now that's a budget!).

I did more cooking and baking than ever before, and more knitting and crafting too!

Overall, 2011 was everything I could have asked it to be, with good times and bad, high times and low, and I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for me. Tomorrow while I'm flying I'm going to finalize my list of goals for 2012, What do you have planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment