Tuesday, January 12, 2016

A big announcement! Finally!

So like I said, I've been keeping a secret.

Well really, Kevin and I have been keeping a secret.

Since November 6th to be exact.


Because that's the Friday we found out I was pregnant!

And although it was a big surprise for us, it was one we were thrilled about. Kevin immediately poured himself a glass of scotch, and I had a water and prenatal vitamin cocktail! We spent a beautiful weekend in Medicine Hat, enjoying each other's company, and probably the last real nice weather before winter. I laughed at the terrible names he promptly began suggesting, and I have to admit, I cried a little too (well because I am the kind of girl who cries at things). Then I headed back to my apartment in Calgary, feeling surreal about how much our lives were going to change.

And did they ever change quickly. By the next weekend, I had all kinds of great first trimester symptoms, which only worsened over the month (although certainly nothing horrible or unmanageable). I missed Kev terribly, but he was great, putting up with me through hour long phone calls every night, and driving in to Calgary every weekend. I watched every movie about pregnancy on Netflix, and binge watched a few pregnancy vlogs on YouTube too. And we celebrated the end of the month by flying down to the Dominican Republic, to celebrate a friend's wedding.

I'll take a moment to say, there is nothing worse than being on an all inclusive resort, surrounded by friends, all who are drinking amazing looking cocktails, and beers, and shots.... and not being able to drink any yourself.... and not being able to tell anyone why. I have never craved a beer or margarita so badly in my life!



But In all honesty, I had a great trip. Enjoyed some sun, the wedding was great, we shared our secret with Kevin's parents (who couldn't have been happier), and spent some really special moments together just the two of us.

We came back to Alberta, excitedly looking forward to our first ultrasound.... our first chance to take a look at our little peanut.

The ultrasound was scheduled for Tuesday, December 8th, in Medicine Hat, so Kevin could sneak away from the hospital to be there for it, and like a good pregnant lady, 2 hours before hand I started slugging waters. So with a quite uncomfortable bladder, I held Kevin's hand as the tech applied gel to my belly (no real baby bump yet). He was facing the monitor, which was turned so I couldn't see it.

And right away he must have seen the peanut on the display, because the look that came over his face was just amazing.


And then came the next surprise.

The ultrasound tech asked us:

"Do twins run in either of your families?"

And I sure am glad that I was still looking into Kevin's eyes at that moment, because I'm pretty sure I watched his brain explode.


So the first picture shows little Peanut A. And this second one shows little Peanut B.

There's a whole lot more to this story, and I just can't wait to finally share it with the world (I hate keeping secrets!)

But for now I'll just end this with, as of today, I'm nearly 16 weeks pregnant with twins. We had an ultrasound earlier today, and they are both healthy and growing well. We had the joy of sharing our news with our families and friends, in person, over our holidays together in Ontario. Most importantly I finally got to tell my mom, surprising her in person, because it just didn't seem right to do over the phone. And we both can't wait for all of the joys and adventures 2016 is going to bring us.

Things might get pretty crazy in the months (and years) ahead, but we couldn't be happier or more excited. Kevin and I know we have more than enough love to sustain us through it all, and we are glad to have the amazing support systems in the people who are dearest to us in our lives to give us the extra help we'll need.


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations times two! I had a feeling this was your news after your last post. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap- two!!! Congrats! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh so exciting!! Congrats! And twins! That's amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so so so so SO exciting!! Congrats girl! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!! That is so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. look at your boys all grown now time moves pretty fast I remember when you did your first blog they were just babies looking forward to your next article great job

    ReplyDelete