Sunday, June 1, 2014

50th Anniversary Calgary Marathon Jugo Juice 10km

I woke up this morning at 6am, thru on my running gear and hiked down 17th ave to the Stampede grounds.

I arrived just in time to see the start of the 50th Calgary Marathon, as well as the halfers and the ultras.


It was pretty inspiring to watch these athletes take off, maybe one of these gentlemen is Kip Kangogo who set a new record for the Calgary Marathon today, coming in at 2:19:47.


Unbelievable, that's faster than my half marathon time last summer. Speaking of half marathons, I was actually supposed to be running in this pack. Well at the back of it, I was registered for the Half Marathon today. But I just haven't been doing any long runs lately, so I thought the best call was to drop down to the 10km when I picked up my race package yesterday.

So I suited up in my Sea Wheeze shorts, which are pretty awesome this year. Laced up and tucked into the 10km.


It was a beautiful morning for running, sunny and maybe 8-10 degrees, perfect weather for the nearly 15 thousand runners out today for races from 5-50km in length.

Although the race was pretty crowded, lots of darting in and out throughout the full race, I still put up a personal best. My garmin had me at 1h3min crossing the finish line. I have to say I was proud. I'm doing another 10km race at home in the Sault next Sunday, and plan to come in under an hour.


In the mean time, I'm enjoying an incredibly lazy Sunday Afternoon! How was your weekend!!

2 comments: